CCCD promotes cooperatives as a vibrant business model.
Full Time Exempt with Benefits: Davis, CA
We are seeking a full time Agriculture Cooperative Development Specialist. The position involves working in the Davis office as well as travel to project locations around the state. Partial work from home is possible.
Job Description: The position will support the development of agricultural cooperatives and worker cooperative farms, and contribute to two annual conferences: Agricultural Cooperatives Directors and Executives Conference and the California Cooperative Conference. Technical assistance includes: cooperative formation, feasibility analyses, business planning, regulatory compliance, governance training, and identifying strategies to strengthen business performance. Current agricultural projects include those with fruit, vegetable, meat processing, and row crops, and includes working with other local technical assistance partners for each project. Many of our projects involve speakers with English as a second language.
The ideal candidate: 1) has the ability to listen to and understand the needs of clients and empathize and engage with diverse communities, particularly those that have been historically disenfranchised; 2) can identify tools and responses to client needs while also developing solutions and resources if they don’t already exist; 3) be willing to work as a team to forward the mission of CCCD; 4) be flexible and open to a growing non-profit and the shifting landscape of agriculture.
Program support and development including:
- Providing technical assistance in the development and support of agriculture co-ops and worker co-op farms
- Conducting market research, feasibility studies and business planning
- Lead the execution of the annual conference for agriculture directors and executives, and coordinate related workshops for the annual California Co-op Conference
- Work with partners in assisting food cooperatives, and coordinating programs for them
- Conduct outreach to attract and evaluate new projects and funding opportunities
- Grant writing; preparing and monitoring project budgets, timelines, workplans, and progress reports for grant and other funding sources
- Plan and conduct trainings, including developing support materials
- Responding to inquiries about agricultural cooperatives
- Willing to learn about, and work with, other types of cooperatives
- 3 years of combined experience working in agriculture, fresh fruit/veg distribution, or related
- Experience/knowledge with farming or agriculture production
- Interested in continual learning and improving your skills
- Experience conducting research including literature review, conducting interviews, and analyzing data
- Strong communication, facilitation, writing, and presentation skills
- Conference and event coordinating experience
- Self-motivated, highly organized team player
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit
- Driver’s license and ability to travel statewide an average 2-3 times per month; occasional national travel
- Knowledge and experience with common tools for word processing, financial analysis, and data processing such as MS Word, Excel, Monday.com and Salesforce
- BA or MS in Agricultural Economics, Managerial Economics, Community Development, or other field related to agriculture (degree may be substituted with extensive experience)
- Ability to present and conduct interactive education with individuals and small- groups
- Eligible to work in the U.S.A.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English strongly encouraged
- Experience running a farm or starting or operating another type of business or organization related to agriculture or food
- Experience with the workings of agriculture, worker, and food cooperatives
- Familiar with Food Safety, Organic, GAP/GHP/GMP standards and certifications
- Hands-on farm experience
- Engagement with statewide/regional ecosystem of farm organizations
- Experience delivering assistance and training to cooperatives
- Understands cooperative business principles and practices
- Experience in grant writing and reporting
- Familiar with different methods of meeting facilitation and decision-making processes
Hours: Full time exempt, includes regular travel statewide and occasional nationwide travel. Partial work-at-home possible.
Salary: $58,000 – $70,000 per year, depending on experience; paid vacation and sick leave, health plan and retirement benefits.
Physical Requirements: This position requires frequent travel using automobile and airline transportation, including overnight visits. Work performed in an office requires the ability to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment, including telephone, for six or more hours per day, and the ability to visit agricultural sites with uncultivated terrain.
Application Requirements: Apply today–Position open until filled. Submit: CCCD application, resume, and (optional) brief cover letter by email to CCCD at email@example.com (subject line: Ag Co-op Specialist Position). Apologies, but incomplete applications will not be considered.
Downloadable position description:
Link to the CCCD Application:
PLEASE SEND INQUIRIES BY EMAIL ONLY: firstname.lastname@example.org
California Center for Cooperative Development is an Equal Opportunity Employer