Website cafarmtrust California Farmland Trust
Position: Communications Associate
Supervisor: Executive Director
Type: Full-time, non-exempt
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.cafarmtrust.org
About the California Farmland Trust
The mission of the California Farmland Trust (CFT) is to help farmers protect the best farmland in the world. We do this by working with landowners and family farmers who want to see their productive farmland protected from urban and non-agricultural uses by putting an agricultural conservation easement on their land. CFT uses state and federal grants, mitigation funds, and donations to do this vital work.
- Reports To: Executive Director
- Coordinates With: Executive Director, Development Director, and Conservation Director
- Employees Directly Supervised: N/A
- Other: Works with employees, board members, Trustee Council members, media, area business leaders, consultants, foundations, contractors, and the general public
California Farmland Trust seeks an energetic, versatile communication professional to join our team. The Communications Associate is responsible for coordinating the organization’s internal and external communication and outreach activities to maximize exposure in target markets. The individual manages the implementation of such strategies by assisting with external outreach, web content and exposure, social media communications, videos and other creative services.
The position works closely with the organization’s communication and fund development staff to educate community members, policymakers, and stakeholders in support of the California Farmland Trust’s mission.
This full-time position is hybrid with a minimum required regular one day per week, spent at the offices of the California Farmland Trust in Elk Grove, CA, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Maintain a robust social media strategy and manage the California Farmland Trust’s social media pages. Monitor social media analytics to optimize social media reach and engagement.
- Design and execute paid social media advertisements and Google Ad Grant management.
- Develop digital media strategies to reach new and existing audiences.
- Assist in the development of written collateral, design assets, and marketing promotion of fundraising campaigns.
- Produce the Legacy newsletter using Creative Adobe Suite.
- Conduct interviews with landowners, donors, and stakeholders to develop feature articles and video content showcasing the work of the California Farmland Trust for Legacy newsletters, eNews, press releases, and other media outlets.
- Coordinate and facilitate desired press exposure with state, regional, and local media including agriculture trade entities, conservation agencies and groups, broader agricultural industry, defined targeted constituents, and affinity groups.
- Assist in the development of external messaging to ensure consistency, accuracy, and alignment with long-term branding, fundraising needs, and the organization’s mission.
- Support the fundraising, communications, and community engagement efforts through regular reviewing and reporting to the staff, committees, and board on user engagement analytics and digital fundraising campaigns.
- Serve as one of CFT’s primary copy editors for internal and external communications;
- Manage digital asset library, including media, photos, videos, maps, stats, and other data.
- Serve as support planner of in-person and communications outreach events and fundraisers.
- Work collaboratively with conservation staff to ensure timely coverage of appropriate conservation activities.
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, culture, and values to create a positive work environment and sense of California Farmland Trust’s purpose.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing, or business.
- A two-year degree with commensurate experience, preferably with a nonprofit organization, may substitute
Knowledge and Ability Requirements
- General agriculture industry knowledge
- Ability to write clear, concise articles, following AP Style guidelines, and speak in a convincing and articulate manner
- Proficient photographer with good use of this product to meet defined needs
- Have graphic design skills
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Effective time management skills
- Effective planning and organizational skills
- Organized and proficient project manager
- Event programming experience desired
- Flexible and agile in response to changing priorities
- High energy while focusing on successful end product and maintaining a sense of humor
- Ability to travel in state and some weekends as needed
- Professional and positive with a strong degree of tact and diplomacy
Varied environments both indoors and outdoors, including a variety of terrains and inclement weather; works with computers extensively; uses telephone moderately. Some travel to various functions in vehicles or other transportation. Maintain a flexible schedule that may involve night and weekend work.
Physical Conditions and Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to:
- Sit for prolonged periods of time;
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Talk and hear;
- Stand and walk;
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; and
- Drive a vehicle for prolonged periods of time.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must also have the ability to:
- Pay attention and focus;
- Follow instructions; and
- Listen to and comprehend communication from the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Trustee Council, co-workers, donors, funders, and other vested stakeholders.
Hours, Benefits, and Compensation:
The wage range for the position is $20.00 – $25.00 per hour ($41,600 – $52,000 per year), depending on experience. Benefits include generous medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, 401(k) with a company match, plus paid holiday, vacation, and sick time. CFT also provides travel reimbursement, along with training and development opportunities of benefit to the employee and CFT. This position has the option to be hybrid with a minimum required regular one day per week, spent at the offices of the California Farmland Trust in Elk Grove, CA, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and work sample to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until it is filled. In your cover letter, tell us why you believe in our mission. Your work sample should demonstrate your experience with a critical duty of the position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. CFT is an equal-opportunity employer. Phone calls, in-person visits or resume status inquiries are not available due to the high applicant volume.