Website Chico State Enterprises
POSITION: Project Manager I: Research Coordinator
STATUS: Full-time / Benefitted / Non-exempt
COMPENSATION: $60,000 – $80,000 per year
DEPARTMENT: Center for Regenerative Agriculture & Resilient Systems (CRARS)
LOCATION: Center for Regenerative Agriculture & Resilient Systems (CRARS);
RECRUITMENT ID: 037
RESIDENCY: Candidate must be a California resident. Chico State Enterprises is not a sponsoring agency for staff and management positions (i.e. H-1B Visas).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: This position provides project management support to the Center for Regenerative Agriculture & Resilient Systems (CRARS) applied research program which includes a number of “at-scale” field trials throughout the western region. As a primary focus, the Center is conducting a project entitled the California Soil Carbon Accrual Project (SCAP) funded to compare carbon and water cycling and economic return associated with conventional farming practices (e.g., full tillage; herbicide; fertilizers; pesticides; no ground cover) to regenerative (RA) farming practices (e.g., cover crops; no-till or conservation till; crop rotations) in California’s Sacramento, San Joaquin, and Palo Verde valleys. The Project Manager will provide support to all funded multidisciplinary research projects under the direction of the Center Director, and project PIs.
The successful applicant will provide day-to-day management and oversight of grant funded, multi-disciplinary research activities conducted on multiple on-farm locations. Following guidelines and requirements of the funded program, the position will work with State and Federal agencies, researchers and project partners to ensure completion of research activities and administrative requirements of the project. Position is expected to contribute to ongoing funding and development efforts for sustainability of the Center (e.g., proposal development, leveraging and/or creating partnership and program opportunities).
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assist Project Director to manage administrative aspects of the project (e.g., schedule and manage project tasks; coordinate assigned staff and/or students; project-related procurement and budget management).
- Data collection, compilation, and reporting.
- Assist with experimental treatments preparations, treatment applications, and maintenance of the experimental field trials.
- Soil and plant sample preparation and crop quality measurements.
- Design, coordinate and deliver producer field day events, workshops and conference/meeting presentations.
- Regular communication with the project team, partners, consultants and collaborators.
- Participate in project meetings and other project-related events.
- Support project evaluation activities.
- Scientific and operational grant writing.
- Project communication, dissemination and reporting.
- Other duties, as assigned.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS: Advanced degree with a PhD preferred. The field of study should be agronomy, crop science, regenerative agriculture, natural resource management, soil science, geoscience, or a related-field that prepares the applicant to meet essential job functions.
- Agricultural knowledge or experience.
- In-field research experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with federal and state staff, faculty, coworkers, agricultural producers, landowners, conservation planning professionals, technical consultants and other stakeholders.
- Ability to navigate federal and state agencies to understand required reporting standards and expectations.
- 3-5 years demonstrated experience in project/program management, including work plans, timelines, budgets and reporting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Scientific communication skills.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office products, mastery in Excel.
- Proficient in scientific data analysis and presentation (e.g., graphs, tables and other reporting elements).
- GIS experience a plus.
- Knowledge of soil carbon and soil carbon accrual.
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Responsible, punctual, self-directed, persistent with follow-up and task-oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt in a fast-paced, evolving work environment and to work within deadlines.
- Must have excellent people skills, and work well as a member of a team.
- Supervising students/interns as needed.
- Must have the ability to take direction and dynamically adjust to feedback.
- Bilingual preferred.
- 2-5 year experience in conducting on-farm agricultural research.
- Data analysis, management, presentation and reporting.
- Scientific communication.
- GIS mapping software.
- Grant and report writing.
- Project management.
- Ability to travel, as needed.
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods (>20 hrs/wk).
- Candidate must be in possession of valid driver’s license and automobile liability insurance. Participation in the DMV Employer Pull Notice Program (driving record) is required. The candidate will be required to update their insurance with Chico State Enterprises Human Resources when necessary.
Benefits for employees working 30 hours or more per week include employer paid life insurance ($50,000) and long-term disability; options for health, dental, and vision insurance; FSA; 14 paid holidays including 1 personal holiday; vacation accrual (initially 10 days/year); sick leave (up to 12 days/year); employer contributions to your 403(b) retirement plan (up to 8%).
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered, submit the following documents by December 1st, 2023. Documents submitted after this date may not be considered.
- Cover Letter
- Chico State Enterprises Application
- Contact information for three professional references
BY EMAIL: email@example.com
Paper applications will not be accepted; however, Chico State Enterprises is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is happy to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants at any step of the application process. If you need assistance in this regard, or are having technical difficulties, please contact the Human Resources office at 530-898-6811 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 5:00 pm on the document deadline date. The employer is Chico State Enterprises, a non- profit corporation serving as an auxiliary organization of California State University, Chico. Employment is considered to be at- will.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Chico State Enterprises is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. It is the Enterprises’ policy to hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees must provide proof of identity and authorization to work.