California Farmland Trust
Position: Communications Associate
Supervisor: Executive Director
Type: Full-time, non-exempt
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.cafarmtrust.org
About the California Farmland Trust:
The mission of the California Farmland Trust (CFT) is to help farmers protect the best farmland
in the world. We do this by working with landowners and family farmers who want to see their
productive farmland protected from urban and non-agricultural uses by putting an agricultural
conservation easement on their land. CFT uses state and federal grants, mitigation funds, and
donations to do this vital work.
- Reports To: Executive Director
- Coordinates With: Executive Director, Development Director, and Conservation Director
- Employees Directly Supervised: N/A
- Other: Works with employees, board members, Trustee Council members, media, area business leaders, consultants, foundations, contractors, and the general public.
California Farmland Trust seeks an energetic, versatile communications professional to join our
team. The Communications Associate is responsible for coordinating the organization’s internal
and external communication and outreach activities to maximize exposure in target markets. The
individual manages the implementation of such strategies by assisting with external outreach,
web content and exposure, social media communications, videos and other creative services. The
position works closely with the organization’s communication and fund development staff to
educate community members, policy makers, and stakeholders in support of the California
Farmland Trust’s mission. This full-time position will work at the California Farmland Trust in
Elk Grove, CA, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Maintain a robust social media strategy and manage the California Farmland Trust’s social media pages.
- Monitor social media analytics to optimize social media reach and engagement;
- Design and execute paid social media advertisements and manage existing Google Ad Grant;
- Produce the Legacy newsletter using the Creative Adobe Suite;
- Conduct interviews with landowners, donors, and stakeholders to develop feature articles and video content showcasing the work of the California Farmland Trust for Legacy newsletters, eNews, press releases, and other media outlets.
- Coordinate and facilitate desired press exposure with state, regional, and local media including agriculture trade entities, conservation agencies and groups, broader agricultural industry, defined targeted constituents, and affinity groups;
- Maintain existing established media and press relationships;
- Assist in the development of external messaging to ensure consistency, accuracy, and alignment with long term branding, fundraising needs, and the organization’s mission;
- Support the fundraising, communications, community engagement efforts through regular reviewing and reporting to the staff, committees, and board on user engagement analytics and digital fundraising campaigns;
- Serve as one of CFT’s primary copy editors for internal and external communications;
- Develop digital and print media strategies to reach new and existing audiences;
- Manage digital asset library, including media, photos, videos, maps, stats, and other data;
- Serve as the support for in-person communications outreach events and fundraisers;
- Assist in the development of written collateral, design assets, and marketing promotion of fundraising campaigns;
- Work collaboratively with conservation staff to ensure timely coverage of appropriate conservation activities;
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, culture, and values to create a positive work environment and sense of California Farmland Trust’s purpose;
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relations, marketing, or business.
- A two-year degree with commensurate experience, preferably with a nonprofit
Knowledge and Ability Requirements
- General agriculture industry knowledge
- Ability to write clear, concise articles, following AP Style guidelines, and speak in a convincing and articulate manner
- Proficient photographer with good use of this product to meet defined needs
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Effective time management skills
- Effective planning and organizational skills
- Organized and proficient project manager and art director
- Event programming experience desired
- Flexible and agile in response to changing priorities
- High energy while focused on successful end product and maintaining a sense of humor
- Ability to travel in state and some weekends as needed
- Professional and positive with strong degree of tact and diplomacy
Varied environments both indoors and outdoors, including a variety of terrains and inclement
weather; works with computers; uses telephone extensively. Travel to various functions in
vehicles or other transportation. Maintain a flexible schedule that may involve night and
Physical Conditions and Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to:
- Sit for prolonged periods of time;
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
- Reach with hands and arms;
- Talk and hear;
- Stand and walk;
- Lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; and
- Drive a vehicle for prolonged periods of time.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee must also have the ability to:
- Pay attention and focus;
- Follow instructions; and
- Listen to and comprehend communication from the Executive Director, Board of Directors, Trustee Council, co-workers, donors, funders, and other vested stakeholders.
Hours, Benefits, and Compensation:
Wage range for the position is $20.00 – $25.00 per hour ($41,600 – $52,000 per year). Benefits
include generous medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, 401(k) with a company
match, plus paid holiday, vacation, and sick time. CFT also provides travel reimbursement, along
with training and development opportunities. This position has the option to be hybrid with
flexible scheduling, based on the needs of the selected candidate. This position requires the
ability to travel throughout California.
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and work sample to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until it is filled. In
your cover letter, tell us why you believe in our mission. Your work sample should demonstrate
your experience with a critical duty of the position. Incomplete applications will not be
considered. CFT is an equal opportunity employer. Phone calls, in-person visits or resume status
inquiries are not available due to the high applicant volume.