The World's Most Productive Plants, Unlocked by Automation
At Fyto, we are partnering with farmers to build a sustainable food system at a global scale. Since launching out of MIT in 2019, we have developed an innovative technology platform that grows ultra-efficient, nutritious aquatic plants to feed people, plants, and animals. Our systems use much less energy, water, land, labor, and fertilizer than conventional approaches. Our momentum is due to our outstanding team and support from leading technology investors. Want to grow with us? We believe in helping you apply your talents in new and impactful ways. Join our team of engineers, scientists, and agri-business professionals to create solutions to today’s most pressing challenges.
About the Role
We’re building a first-of-its-kind production facility to cultivate aquatic plants at scale and are looking for an experienced and motivated Director of Farm Operations to oversee the farming facility. You will lead the operation of an aquatic cropping system that is recycling nutrients from a commercial dairy farm while growing one of the fastest growing plants on Earth for use as feed and fertilizer. This role will be critical for the Company’s success as this is Fyto’s first commercial operation.
We are seeking someone who will enthusiastically lead the efforts (in collaboration with our broader team) to deliver safe, effective, and compliant operations as we scale. This position will be primarily based in the Visalia/Tulare area with some travel required to potential and future Fyto operations. Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States and are subject to a background check.
What You’ll Do
- Work with our engineering and operations teams to lead the setup and commissioning of an aquatic plant farm, including growing structures and installation of automated harvesting systems, ensuring their proper functionality.
- Implement and monitor growing strategies, including frequent planting, fertilizing, and harvesting. Work with our Plant Science and Engineering teams to develop and execute plans to maximize yield and quality while minimizing environmental impact.
- Oversee day-to-day farm operations, ensuring that all processes align with production goals, quality standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Perform regular equipment checks and perform maintenance tasks as needed.
- Lead measurement and reporting of the farm as required by internal and external stakeholders (i.e. Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program).
- Train and manage a skilled team to operate the farm efficiently. Provide guidance, support, and performance evaluations to ensure a cohesive and productive workforce. Maintain continuity of the company’s values and culture with the team in Tulare and colleagues in our other locations.
- Collaborate with our Engineering team to optimize the functionality of the farming equipment we’ve developed.
- Troubleshoot technical issues, and implement improvements for increased efficiency and productivity while informing future system design.
- Establish and maintain strict quality control measures to ensure the harvested aquatic plants meet or exceed industry standards. Implement best practices for handling, packaging, and storing our crops to preserve product integrity. Familiarity with standards such HACCP would be a plus.
- Develop and manage budgets, procure necessary resources, and efficiently allocate funds to meet operational needs while ensuring cost-effectiveness.
- Uphold and enforce safety protocols and regulatory compliance standards to maintain a safe working environment for all farm personnel and visitors. Familiarity with standards such as OSHA would be a plus.
- Build and maintain a network of trusted vendors and service providers in the San Joaquin Valley.
- At least 7 years proven experience in farm operations including 3+ years of management responsibility.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and enthusiasm for trying bold new things.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing startup environment.
- Strong ownership mentality and ability to drive and complete multiple projects at once
- Strong leadership and managerial skills with the ability to motivate and guide a diverse team.
- Technical proficiency in automated systems and agricultural equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of crop cultivation techniques, pest management, and irrigation systems.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and a proactive approach to overcoming challenges.
- Strong organizational and communication skills to coordinate tasks effectively and collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Fluency in standard word processing and spreadsheet programs (such as Microsoft Office Suite or Google Docs)
- Familiarity with Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) and organic compliance a plus
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus
Physical activity requirements:
- Walk across a variety of terrains, including uneven surfaces
- Climb, jump, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and install equipment
- Stand for extended time periods
- Lift and carry 25 lbs. but occasionally up to 50 lbs
- Work in conditions with varying humidity, sunlight and temperatures (32 – 100 degrees F) depending on the season
Salary range: $90,000-$130,000/yr depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision benefits, 401k program and employee stock options.
FYTO is committed to equal opportunity and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. FYTO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its recruitment processes and employment practices.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.