Website Innovative Produce
Innovative Produce is searching for a Controller to join our team!
Innovative Produce is a sixth-generation farming company based in Santa Maria, CA. We’re passionate about farming and production practices that result in the healthiest and most delicious organic and conventional products.
We are a family run company that offers opportunities for growth. We encourage and empower our employees to really own their position and we promote opportunities for leadership development in order to strive for more both personally and professionally.
We are looking for a strong and motivated person to lead our Accounting Department and be a part of our strategic team.
A successful candidate exhibits creative thinking, effective communication skills, problem solving, leadership/soft skills to successfully work with our other departments and support the overall mission and vision of Innovative Produce.
- Competitive pay
- Attractive options for medical, dental and vision
- 401(k) with Safe Harbor Matching
- Paid Vacation/Holidays/Sick Leave
Department: Office – Accounting
Reports to: CEO
Job Classification: Exempt
The Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of the company including the production of regular financial reports, oversight of accounting records and systems, production of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, ensuring the accuracy of reported financial results and ensuring that all accounting functions comply with general accepted accounting principles, laws and regulations. The Controller will use these systems and accompanying reports to support the CEO in formulating the company’s future business plan.
The Controller works under the direction of the CEO.
This is a managerial position that is responsible for supervising the Accounting Department.
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting strategic initiatives.
- Direct and coordinate organization’s financial and budget activities to fund operations, maximize investments and increase efficiency.
- Monitor and direct the implementation of strategic business plans.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department including A/P, A/R, Financial Reporting, budgeting, and financial forecasts.
- Oversee and coordinate audits of company accounts and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements.
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Identify variances from the budget and explain significant issues to management and owners as well as prepare recommendations for corrective actions, when appropriate.
- Use creative thinking to solve problems and create solutions.
- Coordinate provision of information to external auditors for the 401k audit and any other audit by an outside party requiring financial information.
- Ensure that quarterly Bank Compliance activities are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Oversee the development or selection of new financial hardware and/ or software systems with the Risk Manager and IT.
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies and current accounting standards.
- Prepare budgeted Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Statement and Profit and Loss statement necessary for internal and external users.
- Prepare weekly Flash Report for owners.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly and annual crop reports.
- Oversee monthly bank reconciliations.
- Oversee the purchase order system ensuring that payments to vendors are made in a timely manner.
- Behave in a professional manner consistent with company policies and standards of conduct. This includes, but it is not limited to, confidentiality, respect, teamwork, positive attitude, and leading by example.
- Other activities as directed by the employer, from time to time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or closely related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in related field.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office with proficiency using Excel.
- Knowledge of GAAP, as well as state and federal regulatory and compliance requirements
- Strong working knowledge of Famous accounting and finance reporting software.
- Sound financial management principles developed in previous professional capacities.
- Some management experience preferred.
- Ability to perform analytic review of financial information.
- Ability to create forecasts and suggest future business initiatives based on analytic review.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of management to build a high level of confidence in the work produced.
- Self-starter with the ability to meet deadlines and possess strong project management skills.
- Valid California driver’s license and personal auto insurance, clean DMV record.
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, closely related field, or Master of Business Administration.
- 5-7 years’ directly related experience preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to sit, stand, walk, reach, use hands/fingers to handle and type, power grasp, simple grasping, fine manipulation, feel, talk, hear and see. The employee is frequently required to bend neck, bend waist, twist waist, push, pull, lift and carry up to 20 lbs., occasionally required to reach above shoulder level and below shoulder level, and climb stairs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to work indoors in an administrative office environment as well as occasional visits to the field.