Recruitment by CalAgJobs
Job Purpose Summary:
The Lab Manager presides over the Lab operations and personnel while maintaining Quality and Safety requirements while managing the analytical needs of Plant Management for their effective execution in production operations.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Enforce PPE requirements among personnel using laboratory chemicals and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with good laboratory practices and employee safety programs.
- Oversee internal PM task completion and troubleshoot instrumentation issues; Communicate equipment issues and analytical deficiencies to management.
- Oversee routine equipment verification and in-house maintenance needs; Manage equipment 3rd party service agreements; Schedule 3rd party maintenance and calibration needs.
- Establish business need, obtain authorization and quotes for necessary equipment/replacement.
- Manage lab consumables (Supplies & Chemicals) and ensure timely replenishment.
- Create new test methods and validate specialty oils and blends on existing systems to match growing business needs: method development for edible oil contaminants; use analytical techniques and instrumentation, such as gas chromatography (GC), Inductively Coupled Plasma Optical Emission Spectrometry (ICP-OES), and spectroscopy (infrared, amongst others), to investigate chemical compositions; validate methods as needed.
- Interpret data and meet strict guidelines on documentation when recording data.
- Complete quarterly AOCS proficiency analysis and data entry; report results to management.
- Work with operations management to ensure lab coverage and support during unusual operations such as Saturday shifts or R&D production runs.
- Hire, supervise and facilitate adequate training for Lab and QC Technicians.
- Manage employee performance: conduct employee reviews, document and discuss disciplinary actions with employees.
- Create and manage employee schedules; report on OT needs; approve PTO requests as appropriate; complete timecard reviews for errors and release timecards for payroll processing.
Operational Technical Support:
- Oversee and improve QC program for in-processing testing.
- Complete all proficiency testing for Lab, QC and operational staff conducting analysis.
- Work with Operations to further define Quality standards for each production item and track performance to Quality standards on plant level.
- Manage and track non-conformances: Perform investigations for all results out of specification; Assist operations in investigation of in-process testing non-conformities; Provide troubleshooting for upset plant conditions; Manage non-conformance handling guidelines for rework and vendor/customer shipments and returns.
- Manage 3rd party testing needs: GMO project verification, Sterol, Contaminant, Environmental Monitoring Swabs, Allergen, Micro, Annual screening samples, etc.
Quality Program Administration:
- Manage I/L completion in relation to quality.
- Supervise the Shelf-Life program.
- Review, revise, create SOPs and Forms to meet facility Quality and Food Safety objectives
- Coordinate with Product Technical Director and Special Operations Project Manager to conduct plant studies and trials with Operations to promote process efficiency goals.
- Other tasks as assigned by management.
The Food Safety Director and Lead Lab Technician shall provide coverage in the absence of the Lab Manager.
- BS degree, at a minimum; Analytical Chemistry preferred
- 5+ years’ experience working in an analytical Lab with practical application within food or wet chemistry lab preferred using GC-MS, GC-FID, LC-MS, ICP-OES, NIR, etc.
- Experienced in method development, validation and troubleshooting.
- Excellent Communication and Project Management Skills.
- Ability to analyze data and make determinations.
- Ability to follow written and verbal direction and work with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with ERP systems, word processing, spreadsheets and report writing.
- Ability to organize systems and implement programs.
- Ability to provide presentations and training.
- Legally authorized to work in the job posting country.
- Must be proficient in reading, speaking and writing in English for the purpose of record keeping, safety and quality training processes.
- Available to work overtime including some weekends.
- Willing to work in any of our operating locations (Arbuckle and Woodland).
- Prolonged periods of standing.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.