Website Orland-Artois Water District
ORLAND-ARTOIS WATER DISTRICT
Job Description & Qualifications – General Manager
The General Manager is the Executive Officer of the District and for the Board of Directors. He/she administers the District and has exclusive management and control of the operations and works of the District, subject to approval by the board of Directors, and provides day-to-day leadership for the District. He/she has general charge, responsibility and control over all property ofthe District.
- He/she attends all meetings of the District’s Board, and such other meetings as the Board specifies from time to time.
- He/she employs such assistants and other employees as he/she deems necessary for the proper administration of the District and the proper operation of the works of the District, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. He/she shall delegate authority at his/her discretion and has authority over and directs all employees, including terminating for cause or lack of worthwhile work. His/her personnel management goal will be to provide a motivating work climate for District employees.
- He/she maintains cordial relations with all persons entitled to the services of the District, and attempts to resolve all public and employee complaints. He/she shall encourage citizen participation in the affairs of the District.
- He/she seeks to carry into effect the expressed policies of the Board of Directors, including planning the short-, medium-, and long-term work program for the District, facilitating constructive and harmonious Board relations. He/she shall translate the goals and objectives of the Board to the community.
- He/she shall prepare and manage the District budget, conducting studies, making oral and written presentations.
- He/she represents the Board’s policies and programs with government entities, employees, community organizations and the general public.
Possession of a degree in Public Administration, Ag Business or equivalent experience with the ability to efficiently prepare annual budgets and long-term revenue outlay plans; the ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbal, with the constituents and other agency personnel; and the ability to meet and serve the public courteously and efficiently. Five years of increasingly responsible
work experience in an irrigation or public agency including administrative and supervisory responsibility. Any combination of education and experience which would likely provide the necessary knowledge and abilities may be qualifying, subject to determination by the Board of Directors. A General Manager need a California driver’s license and submit to a credit check, physical, drug test, and background check.
- Operations, services, and maintenance activities of an irrigation district.
- Management skills to analyze programs, policies and operational needs.
- The use of appropriate tools, such as computers, fax machines, copiers, etc. to perform the job’s duties.
- Principles and practices of financial management and accounting systems.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Civil engineering principles as they relate to irrigation.
Applications can be picked up at the OAWD Office at 6505 County Road 27, Orland CA 95963 or downloaded off the website oawd.org. Applications are due in the District office no later then Oct. 31, 2023