Technical Service Manager
calagjobs Recruitment by CalAgJobs
This role will work to improve product sales through increased agronomic understanding, registration support, and market penetration. Support marketing and sales representatives with key growers and distributors to demonstrate the efficacy of company products. Priority will be to focus on high margin, high priority, and new products, and to fill in the gaps for crops and products where our current data is outdated and/or insufficient.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with new sales reps to provide technical support in customer meetings and in the field
- Help in training sales reps in the field on product line
- Follow and gather data on grower trials which will help increase sales of products
- Help in new open territories with trials and product meetings where needed
- Attend key trade shows to support sales
- Review Marketing literature to make sure trials and information is portrayed correctly
- Maintain relationships with key large growers and cooperators to help maintain and support business
- Work with key distributors to follow trial and results with key products and customer’s proprietary line as well as helping to set up grower trials
- Assist sales reps with product complaints/troubleshooting when needed
- Demonstrates organizational awareness; knows administrative policies and procedures; has knowledge of product line, application rates, pricing, and business practices.
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; displays commitment to excellence; looks for ways to improve and promote the line of products; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Remains current on new developments and competing products affecting company and provides to management and marketing information on such.
- Provides feedback to marketing and research and development on product literature/data presentation.
- Effectiveness in time management; initiative and independent action within prescribed limits. Completes activity reports, expenses reports and assignments on time.
- Any other duties assigned by management
Fall & Winter (trade show season):
Identify key priorities for Research & Development, specifically which crops and areas have the best potential for growth with key products. Set up trials for upcoming growing season. Coordinate with Research and Development, growers, researchers, sales PCAs, applicators etc. to design trials that will achieve desirable, sustainable and economical results. Also set up trials for products in development where data pertaining to efficacy, safety/phytotoxicity, etc. is required for registration. Work with marketing to ensure we are presenting our data most effectively. Attend key trade shows where large grower and researcher presence is most likely (Sustainable Ag Expo, Unified Wine & Grape Symposium, World Ag Expo, tree, nut crop and vine meetings) and fill in as needed for other sales representatives when scheduling conflicts arise and/or when my presence is requested. Some crops that are off season or have early bloom cycles (almonds) will require applications at this time.
Spring & Summer (growing season):
Most product applications will happen between March and May, with some extending into the summer months. If a grower or distributor PCA is interested in doing a trial, I would be the contact person for the grower to ensure execution of the trial by the grower/applicator, or I would perform the application myself, such as with a backpack sprayer. Data collection will mostly happen in the summer and early fall months. Will continue to answer technical questions and provide support for the sales team in the form of trial support, presentations, and label updates during this time. Will also set up and perform additional trials on shorter notice as needed.
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Masters degree in agronomy or soil, microbiology sciences
- Three to five years’ experience in selling agricultural inputs
- Good organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Required Key Attributes:
- Excellent problem solving and conflict management skills and abilities
- Attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Motivation and desire to grow with company
This position will ideally be located in Central California.