WAKC Communications Intern
The Water Association of Kern County is a non-profit organization designed to educate and inform Kern County citizens about water issues and events. Members consist of local water districts, agencies, agriculture businesses, oil industry and affiliated groups and individuals.
Formed in 1955, the Water Association of Kern County was originally designed to educate the citizens of Kern County about the need for the construction of the State Water Project. The organization’s goal was to keep the public well informed about activities and issues related to water and on the continuing need for a reliable water supply to Kern County.
Over the years, the WAKC evolved to include outreach and activities that provided information about many water topics including federal, state and local water projects; water quality; legislation and regulations; historical water agreements; water supply; endangered species;’ the Kern River; water banking; conservation; water development and many other water-related topics.
The Intern will be exposed to various administrative roles within the organization. The Intern will work closely with the Executive Director. Intern will be responsible for their own time management and execution of projects in a timely manner. Intern will need to have their own laptop and workspace.
This is a part time intern that will act as a consultant with an estimate of 10 hours per week for a 10-week duration during the summer of 2023.
The primary responsibility of the candidate may include:
- Website Update Management
- Update the Who’s Who, WAKC online directory of local water districts, officials, and other related organizations.
- Update of Constant Contact email distribution
- Social Media Development
- Content Calendar creation
- Creative thinking of potential post and campaigns
- Outline future growth potential
- Planning of new Public Relation events
- Highlight water conservation efforts via a community event
- Assist in Water Conservation Campaigns
- Creative thinking to update water conservation plans for municipalities and participating water districts.
- Enrolled in Communications degree program or similar course work
- Must be 18 years old
- Must be able to work remotely
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
- Ability to gather information via cold calls and website searches.
- Solid judgment and strong decision-making skills
- Proficient in web design and development
- Proficient in social media insights and analytics.
- Proficient computer skills – Microsoft Office Software
- Proven ability to effectively communicate – verbal & written skills
- Ability to self-perform and work well under little supervision
- Locations: Intern will work remote with possibility of travel to Bakersfield.
Please submit resume & cover letter to email@example.com by May 13th, 2023