Website Yolo Land Trust
Our Lands. Our Future.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – Development and Communication Coordinator – Full Time Position
The Yolo Land Trust is the only nonprofit organization whose sole mission is to conserve productive farmland in Yolo County. With a small but highly effective staff, the Yolo Land Trust has permanently conserved over 70 family-owned farms and is working on conserving an additional 3-5 family farms in 2022. We understand the concerns of growers because we own a 600-acre farm along the Sacramento River that is leased to local growers. Yolo County officials as well as the local city officials rely on the Yolo Land Trust to fulfill farmland and habitat mitigation requirements, and often seek our counsel about farmland conservation.
The development and communication coordinator is responsible for the planning, coordination and operation of the Yolo Land Trust’s development and communication programs. The coordinator serves as the lead staff for the Land Trust’s community and fundraising events, and for the written and digital communications about the organization. The coordinator also provides administrative support as needed.
This is full time (40-hour a week) non-exempt position in Yolo Land Trust’s office in Woodland, California. For a qualified candidate, a 30-hour work week will be considered. There will be some weekend and evening work.
Development: Event Coordination: Manage the planning, sponsorships, ticket sales, and logistics of the Land Trust’s signature community event, A Day in the Country (usually held the second Sunday in September at a farm; the location changes every year; approximately 600 people attend; significant revenue generator for the organization), including working closely with Full Belly Farm owner Paul Muller on coordinating chefs and farm donations. Manage smaller community events in conjunction with board initiatives. Participate with YoloArts in the Art & Ag receptions (previously held the first Friday in October and in November), and in their planning meetings throughout the year. Organize Big Day of Giving for Yolo Land Trust.
Development: Administration: Maintain donor database. Write thank you letters. Prepare reports on fundraising activities. Schedule donor cultivation appointments for executive director and board members. Staff the fund development and outreach board subcommittee. Provide administrative support of the fundraising efforts by the executive director and the board as directed by the executive director.
Communications – Develop the 2022 communication plan aligned with the communication goals set forth by the fund development and outreach board subcommittee. Implement the communication plan using on line tools, social media and print materials. Develop strategies to improve communication. Design collateral materials for outreach and fundraising efforts.
Office – Perform office administrative tasks as requested by the executive director. These tasks include scanning financial and office records to reduce paper files, picking up mail at the post office box, and similar office administrative tasks. Assist the executive director in facilitating monthly board of director meetings.
- Commitment to the mission of the Yolo Land Trust to conserve agricultural land in Yolo County.
- Minimum of two years professional experience in organizing major fundraising events
- Must have excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and stay on deadline while managing multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience using fundraising databases (we use Donor Perfect)
- Ability to communicate with directors, donors, volunteers, and staff
- Must be comfortable calling donors to schedule visits and engaging them in conversation to further the relationship
- Appreciation and knowledge of farming community is preferred
- Must be able to work at the outdoor signature event (traditionally held in September on Saturday and Sunday), including the physical ability to coordinate the event
- Ability to track work time on an hourly basis each day and to timely submit timesheets
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with graphic design software highly desirable
- Public speaking skills for occasional community presentations
Compensation and Location
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Standard holidays and vacation
- Office is in Woodland, CA
Please email a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to careers@TheYoloLandTrust.org. References will only be contacted if an applicant is selected for a second interview. The position is open until filled. No telephone calls please.